Jump to navigation
2006 NHL Trade Deadline
Unlike past years, the NHL trade deadline has not only been moved up, but general managers have to take player salaries into account thanks to the salary cap. Does this mean we will see fewer deals this year? It is a possibility, especially with this being the first trade deadline day in the salary cap NHL and with a lot of teams still fealing that they are in the playoff race. This year the trades started last night with a couple of medium-big names already dealt.The next hour or so could end up being frenetic as teams try to jockey for the playoff run.
Here are some of the more significant trades so far:
- Edmonton Oilers acquired goaltender Dwayne Roloson from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for a first round pick and a conditional 3rd round draft pick.
- Los Angeles Kings got forward Mark Parrish and defenceman Brent Sopel from the New York Islanders for for defenceman Denis Grebeshkov, forward Jeff Tambellini and a conditional third round pick going the other way.
- Colorado Avalanche traded for goaltender Jose Theodore from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for goaltender David Aebischer.
- New Jersey Devils acquired defenceman Ken Klee from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for winger Alexander Suglobov.
- Vancouver Canucks traded for goaltender Mika Noronen from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for a second-round pick.
- Mighty Ducks of Anaheim received forward Jeff Friesen from the Washington Capitals for a second-round pick.
- Carolina Hurricanes get forward Mark Recchi from the Pittsburgh Penguins for defenceman Niklas Nordgren, forward Krys Kolanos and a second-round pick in 2007.
- Edmonton Oilers have acquired forward Sergei Samsonov from the Boston Bruins in exchange for forward Marty Reasoner, forward Yan Stastny. and second round draft pick.
- Nashville Predators got defenceman Brendan Witt from the Washington Capitals in for Kris Beech and a first-round draft pick.
- Ottawa Senators have acquired forward Tyler Arnason from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for forward Brandon Bochenski and a draft pick.